Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join to turn off ads

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!

Go down 
+3
VVO-The obsessor
Pikachu
.sickling.
7 posters
AuthorMessage
.sickling.
over 1000!
over 1000!
.sickling.

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2008-10-25

The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! Empty
PostSubject: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 4:51 am

Review your favorite (or most hated anime here!

First, show the title, then how you liked it, and finally, a numerical score (on a 10 point scale).

Last edited by .sickling. on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pikachu
Valiant poster
Valiant poster
Pikachu

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 11:44 pm

.sickling. wrote:
Review your favorite (or most hated anime here!

First, show the title, then how you liked it, and finally, a numerical score (on a 10 point scale).

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (Most hated) 3/10

It's horrible. The voices have totally changed. Ash sounds like a retard who suddenly went through puberty freaking overnight (Pokemon Advanced -> Pokemon D/P). There's seriously too much horrid episodes where they litteraly do nothing relavent to the Anime Pokemon itself. It's help a person, screw team rocket over, save (a) Pokemon repeat. The only reason it's any better then a 1 is because of the episode that actually have battles (Pokemon Tournaments, Gym battles). They also sound better in Japanese.

Example: youtube.com/watch?v=463ZkiotY7M

Compare it to any battle in the English version >_>.
Back to top Go down
http://aarondesu.livejournal.com/
VVO-The obsessor
Valiant poster
Valiant poster
VVO-The obsessor

Number of posts : 269

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 12:24 am

Huu, let's try this out then.

Gungrave--8.5/10
Gungrave, one of those ever-so-dreaded anime(s?) based on a game, but with a fairly pleasant twist. The game, Gungrave, for the PS2 revolves around a character named Beyond the Grave, a deadman (Pretty much a zombie) that's fighting a syndicate for revenge and in a sense, redemption. In the anime, it revolves namely around Beyond the Grave's (generally shortened to Grave) living counterpart. Brandon Heat. This is one of my personal favorites for a few reasons.

The story itself is pretty interesting with twists, turns, and a heavy theme of loyalty and protection. The quote that's constantly used throughout the series is "to protect means never to betray...ever." There is a bit of romance here and there, though that romance turns into a bust, and the story doesn't drag on for periods of time that go on for ridiculous amounts of time. There are a few times when the story seems to die down a bit and has an episode or two that it really could have gone without, but overall, the story isn't too lacking. There's action, romance, friendship, and of course, character development, which is possible the main reason that I liked this series.

A lot of the side characters have very, very little to them such as Bob Poundmax (fat, eats a lot, smart, semi-friendly) and Balladbird Lee (silent, assassin-like...asian), but there are some characters that one can't help but enjoy and most of them have very fleshed out pasts (though personality might be a bit lacking). Brandon Heat, the main character for a long period of time, starts as the silent and shy tough guy that has a ridiculously large kind streak in him with a romantic interest in a girl named Maria. He grows into a more withdrawn character, learning the tricks of the trade as far as being a hitman goes, but keeps up a noble set of rules and is shown as observant, kind, and genuinely friendly, but is willing to do anything for his best friend and the syndicate he's part of. There are plenty of other characters that are fleshed out as well, and probably not as dull as Brandon Heat remains through the series. The character designs are done by none other than Yasuhiro Nightow, the artist of Trigun, and the art and animation is quite well done. All in all a pretty good series to swing by and check out at least once or twice. It's worth at least one watch through by my book. (It did, however, take me two tries to get into the series.)
Back to top Go down
Cram
Admin
Admin
Cram

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 1:15 am

trigun 10/10!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://xplodingbrain.omgforum.net
VVO-The obsessor
Valiant poster
Valiant poster
VVO-The obsessor

Number of posts : 269

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:55 am

Cram wrote:
trigun 10/10!!!!
Nightow=love. :3

.sickling. wrote:
hey, i think i played that game once at carmax! i wondered what it wa.
Really? o.o
They have really violent games there then XD
Time for me to go into my less favored anime review.

Naruto-4.7/10
Yeah, you saw that rating right. I personally strongly, strongly dislike Naruto. It was good in sixth grade before I got better series where the "plot twists" weren't obvious and didn't have a gary-stu character -cough- Naruto -cough- and a flipping emo-man -cough- Sasuke -cough- and the irritating yet for the most part useless girl character -cough- Sakura -cough-. The art's fantastic in the manga, but the anime has its ups and downs in the peaks. The first movie was fairly well drawn, but the second movie was...well, it was pretty much CRAP. Quite frankly, this has got to be one of the most overrated series in existence. The characters are typical, Naruto himself is ridiculously overpowered, and anyone that's read the artist's other work should realize how many freaking similarities there are in the story. Allow me to point it out.

The artist's other work: Main character wants to take over the world to be respected.
Naruto: Naruto wants to become Hokage so that he gets respect.

HUH. I WONDER.

In all reality, the only chapters I have really enjoyed were maybe the first few and the mini-arc that filled the gap between the time skip. The pilot chapter wasn't as bad as all that, but the series itself is highly overrated. Hell, even the fight scenes can suck pretty badly at times. A lot of the actions are hardly seen because the motions are "too fast to be seen" or "cloaked" or something like that, and it's simply not fluid enough for my own tastes. The characters that are often followed are simple in personality, regardless of their fleshed out pasts. For example, let's describe Naruto. Headstrong, loyal, brave. Now, let's see Shikamaru. Slacker, cunning, quick-witted. It's not very hard to grasp the characters, which is a good thing at first, but when they don't change very much...the series gets boring. No matter HOW good looking the characters might be (mmm...Kabuto...) it doesn't fill the gaping hole that makes me go "Eugh. How did this series get so popular?"

So. My opinion on Naruto?
So. Flippin'. Over. Rated.[/rant]
Back to top Go down
.sickling.
over 1000!
over 1000!
.sickling.

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 4:07 am

Dragon Drive -8.5/10

I only own one copy of the manga (Volume 7), and I probably don't know enough about the manga to judge it effectively, but I had a things I liked and hated about this one. First off, I really liked the artwork in this manga. The dragons (duh, DRAGON Drive), were obviously the focus, and rightfully so. Almost every dragon looked decent or great, and I didn't really hate any of them. Now, what I didn't like about it were the cliche, boring, and annoying characters. The main character is cocky, rash, and just plain annoying (think: Naruto). Maybe he was mistranslated, I don't know. But you could easily predict what he was going to say next, which was an overused, heroic statement ("You're going down!"). All the other characters were equally annoying, but thankfully they didn't show up very much except for the seemingly main antagonist (ANOTHER cocky, rash, and just plain annoying character). And at the end, when the true villain is revealed, his motives were absolutely ridiculous. Overall, the artwork is what is to be enjoyed out of this manga: just try to ignore the characters.
Back to top Go down
Kudo
Kudo

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:31 pm

Naruto-4.7/10
Yeah, you saw that rating right. rant][/size][/quote]

4 of that 4.7 is Atasuki, making 2 of it Itachi, but yeah, Naruto himself is so freakin retarded (plot fell like hell after the beginning of shippuden)
Back to top Go down
kiki.i
Valiant poster
Valiant poster
kiki.i

Number of posts : 405

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 7:07 am

yugioh (the original :3)
uh, dunno why i like it so much... probably b/c of marik, egypt, the art, and the abridged 8D
i especially liked the egypt saga, probably because the old man (thief king bakura) looks so cool XD. oh, and also, it gives me a place to make a background for kiarraa and jackal (from my fanfic on dA), although those aren't the only reasons i like it. but i definately like the art :3

i didn't really like the duelist kingdom with peagusus, but then again, the art is a little different compared to the tournament that kaiba-boy held and the egypt saga.

8.75/10 (plot was wierd until the egypt part... or at least for the 4kids censored anime...)

ygo gx/5d
dude, it's called 'yugioh' because of the set-forsaken pharaoh. the card game's called 'duel monsters', name the series that instead. please.
2/10 (okay, the art's similar, so i'll be nice. but seriously, the main character from 5d: his hair was inspired by pharaoh, much?)
Back to top Go down
http://kiki-ishtar.deviantart.com
kiki.i
Valiant poster
Valiant poster
kiki.i

Number of posts : 405

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 6:53 am

i notice the thread seems to die after i try to make my post like an actual book review... this happened with the dracula one, too...

maybe it's just me....?
Back to top Go down
http://kiki-ishtar.deviantart.com
.sickling.
over 1000!
over 1000!
.sickling.

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 3:08 pm

kiki.i wrote:
i notice the thread seems to die after i try to make my post like an actual book review... this happened with the dracula one, too...

maybe it's just me....?

Actually, I haven't been watching anything. Nor have I been reading anything. I dunno about the others.
Back to top Go down
zandyne
zandyne

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 am

(Manga)

Eyeshield21 - 9/10

It's a manga about American Football, but despite this the characters are rather well-fleshed out and carries a good pace. Despite everything being "on rails" due to the game's nature it proves to have a good amount of twists and turns as the story goes on.

There are a wide platter of characters but most of them are shown wonderful growth and screen-time (figuratively). The humor and drama are kept in great balance, and rarely are there any ill-placed story elements. It is also one of the few ShonenJump series to have an ENDING and no spinoffs as of yet.

Reason why it gets a 9 instead of an 8 (which seems to be the average) is because I hate American Football with a passion yet I thoroughly enjoyed reading ES21.

*I recommend reading the scanlations as the English version nerfs certain characters speaking patterns.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!   The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread! Empty

Back to top Go down

The Rate That Anime/Manga Thread!
Page 1 of 1