Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join to turn off ads

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
.sickling.
over 1000!
over 1000!
.sickling.

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it? Empty
PostSubject: Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?   Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it? EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 5:38 am

Quite possibly the most annoying tactic in Brawl/Melee next to Pit's arrow spamming, shieldgrabbing is an indispensable weapon in a player's arsenal.

The premise of shieldgrabbing is simple, you might already know it: blocking an enemy's attack with a shield, then responding with a grab.
When actually attempted, however, it can be quite difficult. It demands decent reflexes and instinct. Also, powerful attacks cannot be shieldgrabbed, because you slide too far away to respond.

Here is a demonstration:

This technique takes lots of practice. LOTS AND LOTS of practice. Characters that have ranged grabs (e.g. Link) suffer from high-lag misses for grabs, so be aware.

Last edited by .sickling. on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kudo
Kudo

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?   Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it? EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 1:56 am

I already do it, just not as sparringly as I should (I tend to undergrab in matchs)

Let's just say in Melee I got the "No R 4 U" Bonus, almost EVERY SINGLE MATCH

(whoa, me? Not sheilding?! Blasphemy!...yet true)
Back to top Go down
.sickling.
over 1000!
over 1000!
.sickling.

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?   Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it? EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 2:06 am

Kudo? Undershielding? O_O It IS blasphemy.
Back to top Go down
Kudo
Kudo

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?   Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it? EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 am

.sickling. wrote:
Kudo? Undershielding? O_O It IS blasphemy.

Melee, I just didn't roll, or sheild

No R 4 U is the bonus for NOT sheilding, period, not even air-dodging, rolling, nothing

Then the grabbing

Roy wasn't meant for Grabs...unlike his precessor Marth, he cannot pull off infinite grab combos, has a high lag time to missing (around the same as Brawl Marth, except the actual attacks are slower) but B attacks certainly do more damage (fully charged B does as much knockback as a bombomb and can KO from O% on Final Dest depending on opponent character)
Back to top Go down
DarkLink3603
Valiant poster
Valiant poster
DarkLink3603

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?   Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Brawl's reaction times are much slower

in melee, my best person is Samus so i have to have good reflexes especially when a bunch of people team up on me for no reason. i wck them outta the way and chrge as much as i can then hit them with a few rockets and a few wacks, then blast them outta the sky.

BRAWL on the other hand is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. The first time I played, i got owned. i treid to shield then roll then smash/charge shot but i get wacked first. plus marth is so underpowered now. smash barely does a thing.
Back to top Go down
seventhfonist425
Regular poster
Regular poster
seventhfonist425

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?   Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 4:25 am

I think you just have to get used to it is all. I'm not sure how I learned it. I just started using it when I first tried it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?   Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Shieldgrabbing: Don't you just hate it?
Page 1 of 1