Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Join to turn off ads

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cram
Admin
Admin
Cram

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-10-23

A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus Empty
PostSubject: A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus   A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 8:20 pm

It has come to my attention that according the the Mary Sue Test, Kudo is a Slight Mary Sue while many of VVO's Characters are not as such. The test is not entirely inaccurate, but reducing the character point cap to 21 allows only bland, uninteresting characters to enter. May I suggest raising the cap to 27 seeing as how 27 is the number most good charcters get. (Mine are either too low or WAY too high) As it is our duty to create the best atmosphere for RP'ing, we should not shun actually interesting characters. (Exception of Mako from Cave. Seriously, He is a total gary stu) There for the new window should be 19-27. A pretty good Window right? I beleive with this increased berth, we can make many more good and refined charaters witout having to sacrifice any important information. (However, the whole, "I'm an orphan and an assassin" bullcrap adds an automatic 1000 Mary Sue points and requires that character to be killed. DEAD.) Also as an addendum...sickling.! EVERYBODY'S CHARACTER WAS A F*CKING MARY/GARY SUE/STU IN VOID SO DROP IT ALREADY!
Back to top Go down
http://xplodingbrain.omgforum.net
VVO-The obsessor
Valiant poster
Valiant poster
VVO-The obsessor

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus   A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 8:35 pm

I've pointed out that everyone's character was a mary-sue/gary-stu in Void several times to .sickling. >_>
I remember bitching about it a lot because I wanted to kill Rai dead about halfway through.

On another note, a lot of things bypass the test's questions, and a lot of characters that are kill-'em-dead sues don't get caught by that test. And my characters usually have some sort of Sueish quality to them, but I try to keep things original and well balanced, cause otherwise I'll just...kill them dead...

ALSO, raising the bar to 27 has a few good/bad possibilities. While it does allow for more abilities and a little more character depth, it also allows for some horrendous Sues and Stus to slip through the "iffy" cracks of the question. Usually, it's easier to let the creator/OP decide what will and will not be considered mary-sues/gary-stus. Generally speaking, if the OP has at least some small amount of character-building experience, he/she will know where to draw the line for Sues and Stus.

Then again, this is all just personal experience.
Back to top Go down
Kudo
Kudo

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus   A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:51 pm

also, Kudo the character for the RP most likely gets more, I'll have to test it myself
Back to top Go down
Cram
Admin
Admin
Cram

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus   A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 10:15 pm

well, we just need to have a LITTLE give between the boring and slightly sue.
Back to top Go down
http://xplodingbrain.omgforum.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus   A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus Empty

Back to top Go down

A Note on Mary Sues and Gary Stus
Page 1 of 1